The technical and architectural planning was executed by the 36-year-old Prof. Otto Inze, a well-known water construction engineer, who constructed the support containers of the Wesel water tower. The 40 metre tower was connected with the old waterworks on the Lippe by pipes, served as a water reservoir and simultaneously supplied the necessary pressure to the network. In 1923, a second container was installed on steel supports below the original container in the place of an originally planned second water tower due to price reasons and therefore created a technical curiosity.
The tower remained standing until a fire on February 16, 1945 that burned down the entire city of Wesel. Only a stump remained. In 1947, the lower, restored water container was put back into operation and the upper supporting container followed suit in 1951. There was neither money nor time for decorative accessories. The once richly decorated head of the tower became a simple new construction with small, high windows; a round railing in the place of the tin, and a slightly tilted roof above this that looks like a hat. And that is how it stands today. When it was decommissioned in 1979, it fulfilled its task as the most important chain in Wesel's water supply for 93 years - with the exception of the disruptions caused by war.
Since 1987, the water tower in the city centre has been a technical monument and a component of the Industrial Culture Route. Different exhibitions have been held since 1991 under the motto "Art in the Tower".
Guides can be registered at the Stadtwerke Wesel GmbH under the specified telephone number.