The Berlin Gate as part of Wesel fortress was built by Jean de Bodt in 1718-1722 in the Prussian Baroque style.

The only surviving gate of the former Wesel fortress with a passageway is located in the east of the city centre and is architecturally designed with its baroque style elements. It was severely damaged in the course of the 1890-1895 fortification, but especially at the end of the Second World War. Although most of the figural and ornamental decoration was lost, its representative function is still clearly recognisable today.

The Berlin Gate is crowned on the field side (visual axis from Wesel railway station) by a trophy with an allegorical representation of fame and good reputation. Like the rest of the sculptural decoration, it is the work of Guillaume Hulot in a 19th century replica. 

The larger-than-life sandstone figures of Minerva and Hercules stand between the two Doric columns. The medallions above them show a sleeping lion with the Latin inscription: "To be feared even in repose" and the flying Prussian eagle: "He does not give way to the sun".

Today, the Berliner Gate is the seat of the Hanse-Gilde Wesel e.V..